So the most beautiful child in the world has been born. He arrived in this world Thursday September 22, 2011 at 11:21 p.m. He weighed 9 lbs and 4.5 ounces, measuring 21.5 inches.
The story of his arrival starts Wednesday night when Kayleen decided to go to bed early because of some intense lower back pain. It wasn't until 2 in the morning that she noticed is was coming and going. By 3 am we had noticed a pattern. The pains were starting every 3 minute
s and lasting as long as 45 seconds. We then decided to pack up the car and head in even though the induction wasn't scheduled until 7:30 am. They hooked her up to the monitors and sure enough she was having regular contractions and had dilated to a 3. She slowly progressed and the contractions got worse. By 10 the epidural was in and she started to relax.
They tried upping the pitocin to increase contraction but little William didn't respond well to the result. By 7:30 pm we were at a stand still. Dr. Jiricko then started talking about us possibly needed to go by c-section. This upset Kayleen just slightly but I think got to me worse. I don't know that she's seen me sob. It was like my perfect little world was coming apart. I had to take a few minutes to compose myself before I could offer a prayer without becoming a blubbering mess. Even so I still struggled through the prayer. She consoled me when it was supposed to be the other way around. I can proclaim with absolute certainty that I have the most incredible, beautiful and amazing wife. I love her with all my heart.
We had decided to change positions, increase the pitocin and wait an hour before any decisions were made. In that hour she dilated another cm. giving us hope that she would progress and have the baby "naturally". However, by 9:30 there was no progression, and by the time the doctor came in at 10:30 things weren't any better. We quickly decided to get things moving and signed the paperwork to have the c-section. I donned my hat, gown, mask and booties...
By 11:10 they had redosed her epidural and made the first incision, and by 11:21 his head appeared and I caught my first glimpse of my son! It took a bit to hold back the tears as the doctor pulled all 9+pounds out of Kayleen and we journeyed over to the nursery to bath and measure him. Before we could get him on the scale he showed off just how well his bladder works by making a small puddle on the floor.
It took a while to get him ready and immunized. By the time we were done Kayleen was all sewn up and taken back to recovery. She was still not feeling well from the epidural dosing and we waited for a few minutes before we got her to hold him and feed him.
At 1:30 we were moved to post partum and began our orientation. They worked on vitals and feeding and all that fun stuff. It wasn't until 4 am that they were done with all they needed to do and then they took him to the nursery for 2 hours to give us a chance to sleep for the first time in 44 hours. By midnight we still had only had three hours sleep in over 60 hours. Kayleen slept 4 hours last night and I got 5. She's doing amazingly well for only having 7 hours sleep in 84 hours. I'm up to 9.5 and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it.
This morning they came and took photos on him in various positions and attire. He looks adorable. We'll post those pictures later when this blog things is working.
Thanks to 4 super sized bowel movements his weight went down to 8 lbs 14 oz. Then he had his normal weight loss of 6 ounces. He's still in the acceptable weight loss category and we're sure he'll gain it all back when the milk comes in.
No comments:
Post a Comment